Sunday 27 June 2010

Haussler, Lloyd and the story of three beers

When this news came through the other day I found it had mixed blessings.  I was gutted for Haussler as he's had a season so far plauged with niggling little injuries that kept him out of the Classics, and now the Tour. For me his stage win last year was the hi-light of the whole Tour. It was full of drama, passion and excitement. 

So Hausslers loss is Dan Lloyds gain. I always try to say hello to Dan whenever I am at a race, and gracefully he always has some words for your over exciteable writter. Like many of you I've followed Dans story over the years & frankly it'd make a good book someday. I admire him that he manages to be a top level professional bike rider, father and has still somehow managed to stay a normal bloke. 

He was (Lloyd) sitting in a bar meeting up with friends (Dan seems to have a real high quality of friend as well). One of his friends happened to mention to my that Dan said 'better stop here (at three pints) as I'm a reserve for the Tour'. Little could he have known that a few days later he'd get the call up. 

I can't help but wishing Dan all the best, and I hope he makes it through to Paris. Chapeau Dan. 

Haussler's knee keeps him out of Tour de France 2010
25-Jun-2010 - Basel: Cervélo TestTeam’s Heinrich Haussler, stage winner of the Tour de France 2009, will not be participating in this year’s Tour due to further knee problems. The 26-year-old rider has been plagued by knee problems since a crash in the Volta a Algarve this spring. Despite taking time for recovery, knee problems continued after crashes at Paris-Nice and most recently at the Tour de Suisse. 

“Heinrich’s knee pain came back during the Tour de Suisse,” said team doctor Andreas Goesele. “He did not finish that race in order to have some days off the bike. He felt better and everything seemed to be improving as he prepared for the Tour de France. But in the last few days the pain has come back again more intensely than before and so it was obvious to us, he could not race. Now we will operate and do arthroscopic surgery on him next week and after that he will start rehabilitation. We will then have to wait until after the operation before making any further statements regarding his plans for the remainder of the season.”

“It is a pity that I cannot compete in the Tour de France this year. I am well aware that for a Tour de France you must to be 100% healthy. Though my season so far has not been under a good star, I will not give up. I hold my head high looking ahead to my next goals. I am young and will get my chance again,” said Heinrich Haussler. “My focus is now on the recovery process and we will decide later when I can make my comeback. The health has first priority and I want to be 100% fit before I return on the start line.” 

For Heinrich Haussler, Daniel Lloyd (GBR) will complete the 2010 Tour de France roster of the Cervélo TestTeam.

Posted via email from sprintingforsigns's posterous

No comments: