Saturday 6 September 2008

The Lure of the Cobbles


There is something within the human brain that seems to thrive on the difficult, the things that many normal people would shy away from. Not all cyclists are lured by the cobbles, but I now have a quixotic relationship with them as my experience was cemented at this years Ronde. In many ways it is much harder than any cross country mountain bike trails that I have ridden, with a less than appropiate  bicycle.

Having watched many Paris Roubaixs' and Rondes' over the years were I have sat transfixed as the battle unfolded before me. From this point on I will view with different eyes, ones which have experienced the bergs, felt the vibrations through my hands and the elation on getting to the finish.

At the end of the day 'you can only possess what you experience', roll on next year.

No comments: